Spain VS Italy 4:0 Euro 2012 final Spain are the
winner of euro 2012
Spain : 14′ David Silva 41′ Jordi Alba 84′ Fernando Torres 88′ Juan Mata
July 1, 2012 7:45 PM BST
NSK Olimpijs’kyj — Kyiv (Kiev)
Referee: Pedro Proença
Spain: Gerard Piqué,
Italy: Andrea Barzagli
LINEUP, BOOKINGS (2) & SUBSTITUTIONS (6)
- 01 Casillas
- 03 Pique Booked
- 15 Ramos
- 17 Arbeloa
- 18 Alba
- 06 Iniesta (Mata – 87′ )
- 08 Xavi
- 10 Fabregas (Torres – 75′ )
- 14 Alonso
- 16 Busquets
- 21 Silva (Pedrito – 59′ )
- 12 Valdes
- 23 Reina
- 02 Albiol
- 04 Martinez
- 05 Juanfran
- 20 Cazorla
- 22 Navas
- 07 Pedrito
- 09 Torres
- 11 Negredo
- 13 Mata
- 19 Llorente
- 01 Buffon
- 03 Chiellini (Balzaretti – 21′ )
- 07 Abate
- 15 Barzagli Booked
- 19 Bonucci
- 08 Marchisio
- 16 De Rossi
- 18 Montolivo (Motta – 56′ )
- 21 Pirlo
- 09 Balotelli
- 10 Cassano (Di Natale – 46′ )
- 12 Sirigu
- 14 De Sanctis
- 02 Maggio
- 04 Ogbonna
- 06 Balzaretti
- 05 Motta
- 13 Giaccherini
- 22 Diamanti
- 23 Nocerino
- 11 Di Natale
- 17 Borini
- 20 Giovinco
If you want to know what has happen through out the match you can read the live commentary here:
- 90+3′FULL TIME! Spain win Euro 2012 by beating Italy 4-0 in the final! They win three major tournaments in succession following a quite brilliant performance. The loss of Motta to injury ended Italy’s challenge but they were already two goals down by that point.
- 90+2′Torres plays in Ramos with a nice pass and the defender tries to score with a backheel! Spain are just rampant now. Italy have had nothing since the injury to Motta.
- 90′We will have three minutes of added time.
- 89′This is the biggest winning margin of victory in a European Championship final. Emphatic doesn’t even begin to cover it.
- 88′GOAL! Spain 4-0 Italy! Mata! Incredible! Torres tees up his Chelsea team-mate to turn the ball home from close range! I think Torres will now win the Golden Boot having got an assist and played fewer minutes than Mario Gomez.
- 86′Mata makes his first appearance of Euro 2012 as he replaces the brilliant Iniesta.
- 85′Torres is the first man to score in two European Championship finals and draws level with a host of others on three goals for the tournament. Xavi now has two assists tonight.
- 84′GOAL! Spain 3-0 Italy! Torres gets his goal! Spain celebrate like they have won the thing – and they nearly have – as Xavi plays in Torres with a sliding pass and he slips the ball to the left of Buffon.
- 82′Arbeloa goes on a jinking run towards the box and is finally halted after spurning another chance to pass for a team-mate.
- 81′Pedro, looking to make amends for that earlier miss, drags a shot wide of the post. Spain won’t mind though as they are now cruising towards this historic victory.
- 79′Alba plays in a superb cross for Pedro and the Barca man pokes the ball wide from eight yards out! A horrendous miss, but he is flagged offside so it would not have counted.
- 78′Pirlo and Iniesta collide in midfield. The former was the player of the tournament prior to tonight, but the latter’s contribution to the opening goal has edged him in front to my mind.
- 76′STAT: Torres can become the only man to score in two separate European Championship finals.
- 75′Spain’s second change comes as Fabregas, who claimed the assist for the opening goal, is replaced by Fernando Torres.
- 74′Now Busquets gets in on the act as he swerves his body and darts into the centre, only to slip at the crucial moment.
- 73′Fabregas plays a clever one-two with Pedro before seeing his low shot deflect up off Bonucci and into the air. Italy are able to clear though as Spain go in search of a third.
- 72′Balotelli threatens to get away from Alonso and the midfielder sticks out a leg to halt the Italy striker. Balotelli appears to be hurt but clambers to his feet to continue.
- 71′Nice work from Bonucci as he makes an important clearance from a cross after Spain break down the left.
- 70′Nice work from Bonucci as he makes an important clearance from a cross after Spain break down the left.
- 68′Spain look very comfortable at present, as you would expect against a team with just 10 men. They are stroking the ball around for fun in midfield and could get a couple more goals should they wish to.
- 66′Alonso plays in Arbeloa to the right and Balzaretti blocks the right-back’s cross. There are some concerns that the Italy defender is struggling as well but he seems okay at present.
- 65′Lovely from Fabregas as he slips away from Barzagli on the touchline but his subsequent pass is cut out by Marchisio.
- 64′Italy swing in a free kick but Bonucci is unable to get on the end of it. Hate to say it but there is a chance that this game is over as a contest with Motta off. Imagine if Italy get another injury.
- 62′Prandelli’s silly decision to make three substitutions so early in the game is punished. Spain should really coast this now.
- 61′This could be a big problem for Italy: Motta has done his hamstring and he will be coming off. Italy have made all three substitutions so will be down to 10 men.
- 60′Stat from Opta: “The Azzurri are unbeaten in their 15 competitive games under Cesare Prandelli: 10 wins and five draws.”
- 59′A first chance of the night for Spain as goalscorer Silva is replaced by Pedro. Silva doesn’t look too impressed but Pedro offers more penetration now Italy will be tiring.
- 58′Balotelli finds space but his effort is well over. A poor effort.
- 57′A third change for Italy as Thiago Motta comes on for the rather ineffectual Montolivo.
- 56′Nice spot from Pirlo as he lofts the ball over the top of the defence for Di Natale but the striker is just unable to meet the ball as Spain look vulnerable again.
- 54′Iniesta picks out Fabregas with a neat forward pass but the former Arsenal man is guilty of a poor piece of control as he lets Italy off the hook. That should have been 3-0.
- 53′Pirlo whips in a free kick for Italy but Pique heads away for Spain.
- 52′What a chance! Montolivo finds Di Natale with a brilliant ball into the box and the striker is denied by a good reaction save from Casillas. The rebound falls to Di Natale again but his attempted pass for Balotelli is cut out by Casillas.
- 51′Balotelli tries to bundle his way into the box but goes to ground without reward. It has been a tough night for the City striker so far.
- 50′Alonso releases Silva with a brilliant first time ball out to the right. He plays it back for Xavi and the midfielder darts forward before trying to cross for Fabregas.
- 49′A big shout for a penalty! Corner to Spain and Ramos gets his head to it before the ball strikes the arm of Bonucci. His hand was up in the air but it would be a stretch to say it was deliberate.
- 48′What a run from Fabregas! He collects the ball to the right of the box, turns away from Balzaretti and Bonucci before almost poking a shot past Buffon. Italy clear though.
- 48′Spain respond as Silva slips in Fabregas and the false nine drags a low shot narrowly wide of the near post from the edge of the box.
- 47′And an immediate chance for Di Natale! Abate breaks down the right and centres for the little Udinese striker, who directs a header just over the bar.
- 46′A change for Italy as Antonio Di Natale replaces Cassano in attack.
- 46′KICK OFF!
- -What did you make of that first half? Let me know on Twitter now.
- -HALF TIME. Gorgeous goals from Silva and Alba have Spain in firm control. An emphatic first half for a team bidding to make history tonight.
- 45+1′We will have one added minute.
- 45+1′Xavi with the free kick for Spain and after Marchisio sticks out a leg to clear, Silva’s effort from range is smothered by Buffon.
- 45′Barzagli brings down Iniesta for a tactical foul and a booking. He had to take one for the team as Spain were away again.
- 44′Montolivo spots a gap 25 yards out and rifles in a hard effort that Casillas palms away. Italy really could do with a goal before half time or it will be a quiet dressing room in there.
- 43′That will hurt Italy badly as they had improved markedly and were finding a way back into the game. It is a long, long way back from here though. A long way indeed.
- 42′GOAL! Spain 2-0 Italy! Another wonderfully constructed goal. Alba scores his first goal for Spain after playing the ball square to Xavi, charging through the centre to collect the return – a gorgeous through-ball – taking a fine touch and then slotting the ball to Buffon’s right. Wonderful.
- 40′Spain construct another nice move on the edge of the box but Silva is guilty of a heavy touch as Italy regain possession and play it out from the back.
- 38′Italy threaten again as Balotelli picks the ball up to the left of the box and cuts inside before unleashing a ferocious effort. However, he gets under the ball and watches it fly high into the stands.
- 37′Apparently Italy had 53 per cent of possession after 30 minutes. That is highly unusual against this Spain side.
- 36′Stat from Opta: “Spain have the best defensive record at Euro 2012 with only one goal conceded. In their last two games combined (quarter-final v France & semi-final v Portugal), Spain have only faced one shot on target.”
- 34′Iniesta almost releases Fabregas with another sumptuous pass, only for Bonucci to throw out a leg and make a desperate interception.
- 33′A good chance for Italy! Pirlo is given time on the ball for once and pings it square to Cassano, who steadies himself before seeing a firm drive punched away by Casillas. Italy the more threatening side at present.
- 32′The introduction of Balzaretti has made a big difference with Italy continually attacking down the left flank now, where Cassano is pulling wide to get the ball.
- 31′Pirlo spots Abate making a forward run but puts too much on his lofted pass and the ball rolls out of play.
- 30′Italy win another free kick but Pirlo gets this one all wrong as his whipped low effort flies out of play by the near post. Not sure what he was trying to do there.
- 29′Xavi, yes, loses possession and De Rossi picks it up. He then pings in a lovely pass to Cassano on the left of the box and he makes a smart turn before rolling in a low shot that Casillas gathers. Italy are looking more menacing now.
- 28′Stat from Opta: “Spain have always dominated possession in their seven games at World Cup 2010 and five games at Euro 2012. Germany, in the final of Euro 2008, are the last side to dominate possession against La Roja.”
- 27′Better from Italy as Balzaretti puts in a cross from the left but Casillas comes off his line well to get his fingertips to the ball and prevent Balotelli from heading in.
- 27′Xavi plays in Silva neatly but the Italy shirts crowd the Manchester City man as he tries to find room for a shot on the edge of the box.
- 26′Now Ramos ploughs into Balotelli but the decision goes the way of Spain.
- 25′Gerard Pique is the first player booked as he slides through the back of Cassano. It was a messy challenge.
- 24′Abate gets forward from right-back and his deflected cross loops into the air. However, there isn’t a blue shirt to latch onto it and Spain just about get the ball clear.
- 23′Pirlo hasn’t seen much of the ball so far. This has been the Iniesta-Xavi show, as so many games before it have been.
- 22′Marchisio hooks a ball into the box from wide on the Italian right but Silva, of all people, heads the ball away as De Rossi looks to control.
- 21′So unfortunate for Chiellini. He has sustained an injury and is replaced by Balzaretti, who was unlucky not to start tonight’s game in any case.
- 20′A mistake from Chiellini gifts possession to Spain in the final third but Xabi Alonso can’t pick out a team-mate with his low cross. Italy are really struggling as Spain regain possession and Pirlo makes a superb tackle to deny Iniesta.
- 19′Casillas looks somewhat unconvincing when trying to punch away from Pirlo’s latest delivery. Italy’s best moments have been limited to set-pieces so far.
- 18′Another corner for Italy and Pirlo’s delivery causes problems, with Ramos forced to head behind from the six-yard box with Chiellini lurking.
- 17′Stat from Infostrada: “Spain have won their last 61 matches in which they scored the opening goal since a 3-2 defeat at Northern Ireland in Sep 2006.”
- 16′Italy win a free kick 25 yards from goal and Pirlo’s curled effort is deflected wide for a corner. Casillas reaches up to tip away the second set-piece from Pirlo at the back post.
- 15′This has been quite a riposte to those who have claimed Spain are boring. They have a point to prove, and are proving it emphatically so far. Iniesta’s pass was ridiculous, and if he continues in this vein he will beat Pirlo to the player of the tournament award.
- 14′GOAL! Spain 1-0 Italy! What a goal! Simply fantastic! Iniesta the creator with a quite brilliant through-ball for Fabregas, who hit the byline before pulling a cross back for Silva. The midfielder was in space to direct his header across goal and inside the far post.
- 13′Xavi tries to pick out Silva in the final third but gets his timing wrong for once. Xavi has started superbly here – he hasn’t been at his best at Euro 2012 and admitted as much yesterday.
- 12′Stat from Opta: “Spain have conceded only 12 shots on target at Euro 2012, 50% of those were against Italy in their opening game (6).”
- 11′Pirlo tries to pick out Balotelli over the top, yet again, but Casillas is off his line quickly to boot the ball clear. This has been an excellent, fluent start from Spain.
- 10′Now Spain combine again to good effect and Xavi plays a one-two with Fabregas before thumping a shot just over the bar from 20 yards. An excellent effort and the pitch looks like it is opening up for the Spanish.
- 10′A lovely turn of pace from Iniesta as he saunters through the Italy midfield to find Fabregas, who in turn plays the ball square to Xavi. His shot is blocked, as is Iniesta’s 10 seconds later.
- 9′The Spain fans are pulling out the ‘oles’ already. That kind of hubris can only be bad.
- 8′It’s a corner to Spain though and Ramos meets the ball 10 yards from goal with a powerful header that flies over. That’s Ramos with Spain’s two best chances so far.
- 7′Italy target Spain over the top again and attempt to pick out Cassano, but Spain collect themselves and break, with Alba pulling a fine cross back into the box. There’s no striker to convert though and Chiellini intervenes before Silva can connect at the far post.
- 6′De Rossi thumps into Xavi with a pretty poor challenge and Spain have a free kick 30 yards from goal. Ramos stands over the ball and rifles one in but the ball keeps on rising and soars over the bar.
- 5′Ramos climbs above Balotelli to head away from a long ball over the top from the Italians and the Italy striker appears to react badly. If he is losing his temper already that will be a problem for the Azzurri.
- 4′David Silva takes possession for the first time and tries to thread a pass through for Fabregas. However, Claudio Marchisio is tracking the run and intercepts before clearing for Italy.
- 3′It’s an enterprising start from Italy, who look to be following the Portugal method of taking the game to Spain from the start. However, Chiellini and Cassano them bump into each other to lose possession.
- 2′And now Pirlo materialises on the edge of the box to wildly swing at a loose ball and see his shot skew well wide. Cassano had caused problems when attempting to dive into the box.
- 1′Pirlo’s first act is to try and find Abate with a long diagonal pass but Jordi Alba is across to get his head in the way. Still, Pirlo found a nice pocket of space there.
- 1′KICK OFF!