Spain VS Italy UEFA EURO 2012 Final match preview
RED VS BLUE
Match kick off:
July 1, 2012 7:45 PM BST
NSK Olimpijs’kyj — Kyiv (Kiev)
Referee: Pedro Proença
Spain: Casillas, Arbeloa, Pique, Ramos, Alba, Xavi, Busquets, Alonso,Silva, Fabregas, Iniesta
Italy: Buffon, Abate, Barzagli, Chiellini, Balzaretti , Marchisio, Pirlo, De Rossi, Montolivo
Last five matches:
• Spain’s record in 30 games against Italy is W8 D12 L10, but seven of those victories have come in friendly games.
• In the teams’ 11 competitive fixtures, Spain’s record is W1 D5 L5, including a UEFA EURO 2008 quarter-final that Spain won on penalties after a goalless 120 minutes but which is classified as a draw. The sole outright Spanish victory, a 2-0 win, came in the sides’ first meeting at the 1920 Olympic Games.
• In FIFA World Cup and UEFA European Championship finals matches, Spain’s record against Italy reads W0 D4 L3 – three of those draws and a loss coming in the continental competition.
• Italy inflicted the joint heaviest defeat in Spain’s history during the 1928 Olympics, beating them 7-1 in an Amsterdam replay following a 1-1 quarter-final draw. A 7-1 friendly loss against England on 9 December 1931 matched that margin.
• The sides first met at a UEFA European Championship in 1980, playing out a 0-0 draw. Current La Roja coach Vicente del Bosque, capped 18 times, ended his Spain career at the tournament but did not play against Italy.
• At the 1988 finals, Italy beat Spain 1-0 in the second Group 1 game in Frankfurt thanks to Gianluca Vialli’s 73rd-minute goal.
• Italy’s most recent competitive victory against Spain came in the 1994 World Cup quarter-finals in Boston, Roberto Baggio’s 88th-minute effort securing a 2-1 victory.